The Madras College Archive

     


Former Pupil Biographies

James Meldrum (1855 - 1910)



JAMES MELDRUM, born at Colinsburgh, Fifeshire, on the 19th September, 1855, died at Colombe Lodge, Ealing, on the 15th December, 1910.

Educated at St. Andrews and Glasgow Universities, he was trained under Messrs. Bell and Miller, of Glasgow, and subsequently was responsible for the construction of important railway works abroad, including the Condb dEu line in Brazil, the Manila Railway, the first in the Philippines, and the Buenos Aires Great Southern Railway.

For 12 years he was manager of the Foreign department of Messrs. S. Pearson and Sons, contractors, supervising large railway, harbour and dock contracts in China, Mexico and South America, and latterly he had an extensive practice as it Consulting Engineer and served on the directorate of several companies.
Mr. Meldrum was elected an Associate Member of The Institution of Civil Engineers on the 4th May, 1886, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 7th December, 1897.

The 'Old Boys Chronicle' in the Madras College Magazine for Easter 1911 reported:

"We regret to announce the death, on the 15th December last, at Colombe Lodge, Ealing, of Mr James Meldrum, M.I.C.E., F.R.G.S., F.Z.S. Born in Fifeshire in 1855, he was educated at the Madras College, St. Andrews, and at the University of St. Andrews and Glasgow, in both taking first-class honours. He received his engineering training in the office of Messrs. Bell & Millar, Glasgow, M.M.Inst.C.E., and thereafter was engaged by Messrs. Ward & Company on railway works, including the Bridge Street Station, Glasgow, for the Caledonian Railway. He was engaged as chief constructional engineer on many important works.  For twelve years he was manager of the foreign department of Messrs. S Pearson & Son (Limited), for whom he directed extensive works in China, Colombia, Chile, and in Mexico. During the last few years, as consulting engineer, he has given expert advice on an immense amount of work, and was also on the board of several companies. He took a keen interest in the London Fife Association , and was chairman of committee for many years. In 1887 he married the daughter of Charles Wilson, Architect, Glasgow, who was with him in all his foreign work, and who survives him. He was one of her many sons of whom Scotland can be proud.